Know how to insure your private dwelling

The cover to your private home includes;

  • Outbuildings, garage, guest cottages, domestic employees quarters, offices and consulting rooms
  • Fixtures and fittings
  • Swimming pools except for portable pools and pool cleaners
  • Garden irrigation systems
  • Garden lights
  • Walls, gates, and fences, excluding hedges
  • Driveways, patios, pathways except for gravel
  • Tennis courts, spa baths, and saunas
  • Underground service pipes, water electricity, and gas connections
  • Sewers, drains, borehole pumps, motors, and fixed generators
  • Television antennae, satellite dishes, and masts
  • Geysers, including solar geysers and their inverters, batteries, and cabling

The insurers settle claims based on replacement building costs. If you insure for less than your value you will be underinsured and will be required to bear a portion of any loss in the event of a claim. If you are 50% under insured the insurer will only pay out 50% of the amount claimed. The responsibility lies with you to make sure you are adequately covered. To avoid any problems at the time of a loss the best is to apply your m2 to the latest building costs to calculate the replacement value of your home

Gillian Lombard
Sapcor brokers
012 9988295

Download document

Enter your email before downloading this document